Wednesday

Colombia Here We Come!

When we stepped foot off the plane, I knew we had entered a different world. A world of strangers that spoke a language that we did not completely understand. A world of armed guards and cautious people. As we made our way through the airport, getting through customs and the baggage area, I wondered if Andres, our driver, would actually be there to pick us up. What if he forgot?

He was there, smiling and holding a sign that read “Howell.” You can’t imagine the relief to see a smiling stranger waiting to take us to our home for the next few weeks. Once we loaded up the car, we were on our way to El Refugio, a small bed and breakfast that caters to adopting parents. We reached El Refugio around 11:00 p.m. and went straight to bed.

Laying there in bed, I finally had time to stop and reflect on the day and what tomorrow would bring. Tomorrow I would be a mother. I would meet the little boy who I had prayed for and dreamed about for so many months. I would meet my little Jordi.

The morning finally came. What should I wear (like Jordi really cares what I am wearing)? What baby supplies should I pack in the diaper bag? What paper work do we need to bring? Oh my goodness, in a few hours I am going to be a mother!

Meeting Our Little Angel

David our young, friendly interpreter came to pick us up and drove us to ICBF (Colombian Institute of Family Welfare). Once we got through ICBF security I looked at my surroundings. It wasn’t exactly what I had in mind when I thought about meeting my son for the first time; it was just an office building. As I looked around the room we were waiting in I saw pictures of other families who had once been waiting in this room just like us.

My heart was about to pound out of my chest, when were they going to bring Jordi in? Did they change their mind? Had they forgetten our appointment? But they didn’t forget and they didn’t change their mind. The door opened and in walked a woman carrying our little baby. She handed Jordi to me and then everyone left the room except for our little family of three. I held him tight and started to cry. I looked up at Kevin and he had tears in his eyes. Jordi on the other hand was not crying, thank goodness. During the most intense, sentimental moment of our lives, Jordi felt that he should offer some comic relief. He spit up all over Kevin and me (I mean all over). When the ICBF staff returned, we were still trying to clean up.

The case worker explained Jordi’s eating and sleeping habits and asked if we had any questions. We then signed some papers and became the temporary guardians of Jordi Andres Vivas Cardenas.

On the ride back to El Refugio, Jordi slept in my arms (Colombia has no car seat laws). My dream of being a mother had come true.

Life in Bogota

So life was perfect. You would think so, but in reality it is scary to be a first time parent, much less in a foreign country. I was so happy to have Jordi, but I was also very homesick. I missed my family and friends. I wanted them to be with me. To help with Jordi and to give me advice on being a parent. Kevin was so strong; he kept our little family going. I was scared to be alone with Jordi at first. I had been around kids my entire life, but nothing prepared me to have one of my own. What if he cried and I couldn’t help him? What if I was not feeding him enough or feeding him too much?

As the days passed, we got into our routine. We started learning Jordi’s likes and dislikes and bonding as a family. I got to where I could call home without crying. And we started enjoying our surroundings.

We wanted to embrace life in Colombia while we were there which was easier for Kevin since I just wanted to take Jordi back to Fleetwood, North Carolina. We would take walks and play in the yard of the bed and breakfast.

Everyone at El Refugio was so caring and patient with our family. They helped me with Jordi and gave me emotional support. They went out of their way to make us feel at home. They even went all out for Thanksgiving (turkey, pumpkin pie, the works) even though we were the only American family staying there at the time.

The day finally came for us to go home. I was excited, but still sad to leave my temporary “family” at El Refugio and the country of Jordi’s birth. After saying our goodbyes we headed back home.

No Place Like Home

I had prepared for the worst when it came to Jordi’s adjustment to his new home, but luckily he had no problems. He showed no fear when family members crowded around him oohing and aahing. He loves to be around people, especially other children. He is showered with attention from the entire family, especially his grand parents and his Aunt Courtney.

Jordi turned one year old on April 21st. Of course we had a big party where he got way too many toys. As we held Jordi up to blow out his candles, tears filled by eyes. I had waited for a moment like this all my life. That moment, like many of the moments we have had with Jordi, was perfect. Everyone says that Jordi is so lucky to have us, but Kevin and I know that we are the lucky ones. We were given the blessing of being Mommy and Daddy to our precious little boy.

--Makisha Howell (wife to Kevin, mother to Jordi), NC