Monday

Reflections on God's Long Winding Road for a Family: An Ethiopia Adoption Story

Paul and Deedra Mager will be traveling in Ethiopia beginning February 18, meeting and finalizing the adoption of their son Ashenafi. But before they left, Deedra paused, looking back on her journey to her fourth child who was waiting for her overseas.



Tonight I am feeling reflective of our journey to this point. I have not actually used this blog to journal many of my emotions regarding our story. I guess I was mostly just tracking dates and keeping in touch with my new friends in the blog-world! However, tonight, I just feel like I need to lay it all out there. So, here goes...

The Road Begins - International Adoption

Everything began when my sister and brother-in-law gave us some land (2 acres adjacent to their farm) so that we could build a house. Around that same time, our hearts were stirred for international adoption. Through a series of circumstances and much research, we decided in the spring of 2006, jointly, that we would all go together to bring home our new sons. We applied at Children’s Hope International into their Vietnam program and hoped to actually travel together.

My brother-in-law had the idea of selling the land to finance the bulk of both of our adoptions. We were totally on board, feeling like it was a huge gift, either way; and as we believed God was calling us to international adoption, it seemed like an answer to prayer. I felt so strongly God was going to have to finance this thing He was calling us to do, since we were already struggling to make ends meet due to lack of funds in my husband's ministry. With no savings and too much debt, we started down this road and downloaded the application from Children’s Hope.

The day I had to send off our $100 application fee, my husband ran into a local pastor friend at the gas station, both on their way to work. Our friend handed him a $100 bill and said he felt like God wanted to bless us with that. It was exactly what I needed that day and I had to worship, knowing that God was assuring me He would be there for whatever I needed each step of the way. So, after a bit, we sold the land (my brother and his wife actually ended up purchasing it!) and it was just in time for all our initial home study and government paperwork fees. So far, so good!

A Fork in the Road – Which Country?

When my sister and her husband decided to accept a referral for a baby from Guatemala, we were overjoyed for them and fell in love immediately with our new nephew. However, that left us wondering what we should do next. We looked into Guatemala a bit, but didn't feel that was the right door for us to walk through. I became increasingly uncomfortable with Vietnam, unsure I had heard the Lord on from which country we should adopt. We put our home study on hold. It was completely ready, just awaiting the country.

Throughout November and December I felt nothing. I was really praying, too! Finally, as January 2007 rolled around, I decided I had to put a deadline on things. I told the Lord that by the end of the month I would put something down and just send it in, regardless. The third weekend of that month I had a revelation as I was talking with my sister. She asked if I had noticed Children’s Hope was opening a new program for Ethiopia. I looked into it and immediately felt this was right. The needs of the country, the beauty of the children, the cost, the timelines, the short length of stay in country (since I had 3 children at home, this was important to me), and the excitement of being one of the pioneer families for the program were all perfect! We switched programs, sent off our home study and within one month had our 171-H form (INS clearance) - the same weekend of my birthday and the same weekend Children’s Hope received their licensing for Ethiopia!!!

I got to work on our dossier and made sure to submit it before we left on vacation in June. We were the 3rd or 4th family to submit a dossier. The first 2 families, requesting infant boys, and another family, requesting siblings, actually traveled before the courts closed in August. So, we were sure we were next on the list and would be receiving our referral any time and traveling by October at the latest. Well, that didn't happen. Several other referrals came through, but all for older children or siblings or infant girls. I was excited for all these families. However, I kept waiting for the call.

A Change in Direction

Finally, it came in October. We received a referral for an infant boy and were thrilled. However, we immediately realized we were going to struggle to get the necessary funds together for the country/referral fee. Several of our friends gave generously to us and one long-time friend of our family gave us a loan so that we could go ahead and process the referral to get on the list for a court date. God was good, once again!

I believed He would come through on the funds we owed to them, as well as the money it would take to travel. However, we had one setback in the plan. When our court date came the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, we found out the court had not ruled in our favor. For reasons I will not go into here, the court could not separate the baby from the birth family. We felt some loss with this news, obviously; but also felt that it was an answered prayer. We believe the court had ruled righteously in their decision and we tried to be at peace in that.

We were on hold again. Children’s Hope told us there was another infant, but could not give us any specific news yet until they finished the medicals and paperwork for him. We waited one month with no more information. Finally, on Christmas Day, the director of the program called and gave us the news! She emailed all the medicals, photos and background info on Ashenafi and we were overjoyed she would take time out of her holiday to do that for us. God gave us a beautiful Christmas gift! The baby was perfect!

The Guide Steps in With a Helping Hand

Now, we awaited a January 23 court date. This time everything went beautifully the first time through. Again, the hurdle of the finances came to weigh on us as we contemplated the cost of travel. As we were waiting for our official travel dates, we received a notice from Shaohannah's Hope (Steven Curtis Chapman's adoption-assistance organization). We were awarded a $3,000 grant!! (This is something we applied for in the early fall!) God is soooo good!!! Plus, my husband had a friend give us some money for our trip and a side job he was working was going to pay exactly what we needed for the hotel/food cost with enough to take some cash with us!

So, now, we are ready to go! I'm going to totally enjoy this experience and immerse myself into the culture of Ethiopia and loving on my baby!