Thursday

On Being a Mother for the First Time: China Adoption Story

Michelle Butler of Virginia became a first time Mom on June 20, 2005, on her daughter’s Gotcha Day in China. She celebrates her second Mother’s Day this Sunday. Here’s what she has to say about the joy of becoming a mother:






Being a first time mom after being married for almost 17 years is so worth the wait. Taylor is a joy to everyone she meets and has changed her daddy in the most positive way. He is now very patient and tends to her every need and want.

I can remember the day when Gotcha Day came around and how all those years of waiting and waiting for a child just melted away.

I have a very close relationship with Taylor and she tells me all the time that when she grows up she wants to wear clothes like me. She likes to plant flowers with me and loves to help me clean up. Every week we have a popcorn night where we watch Dora and eat popcorn before she goes to bed. We also like to go to the local ice cream store and share an ice cream cone (chocolate of course). I couldn't imagine a life without Taylor now and am beyond blessed.

I always tell my husband that if we had gone faster, slower, if we had no paperwork snafus that we would not have been blessed with Taylor and that even though the path we took may have taken 15 years before we were blessed with a daughter, it was the definitely the correct path we chose.
Michelle Butler, VA
Mother to Taylor Grace Suqiao Butler
Hunan, Chenzhou
DOB – August 21, 2004
Gotcha Day – June 20, 2005